|Average length of stay||7 days|
|Length of stay in hospital||4 Days|
|Operation duration||1-3 Hours|
|Recovery duration||2 Weeks|
Have you exhausted all avenues and possibilities—diet, exercise, pills and potion—but you still can’t lose weight? Are you embarrassed by the weight and find it hard to choose clothing that fits you?
Is your weight having a negative impact on your overall health? If the answer to these questions is yes, you might want to consider gastric sleeve surgery in Turkey.
Gastric sleeve surgery—also commonly know as sleeve gastrectomy—is a weight loss surgery in which portion of the stomach is removed, hence hunger is decreased and weight loss becomes possible.
More and more people are choosing bariatric surgery due to the many benign benefits it offers. If you are eligible for it—gastric sleeve surgery in Istanbul can help you lose weight, look and feel better and improve your quality of life. Patients can expect up to 70 percent of weight reduction after the gastric sleeve surgery.
Travelling abroad for a weight loss surgery in Turkey can yield many benefits—beyond the financial savings. Patients travelling from the UK to Turkey for bariatric surgery can be saved from a long wait time and can avoid tedious paperwork and pre-surgery approval.
Benefits of gastric sleeve surgery
- Helps cure type 2 diabetes.
- Gastric sleeve or any weight loss surgery can make a life-transforming difference for people with type-2 diabetes. The blood sugar levels get back to normal after a weight loss surgery—as such patients could need less medication or none at all.
- Scientific research suggests that weight loss surgery allows patients to remain free of insulin or other supplementary medications for at least three years after the surgery.
- Improved heart health. Weight loss surgery reduces a person’s risk of heart diseases, stroke and peripheral heart disease. Many patients who underwent weight-loss surgery have experienced normal blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
- Better mental and emotional health. Many obese people have a negative self-image and low self-confidence. Even younger people who have significant excess weight find it hard to take part in activities they might enjoy. Losing excess weight can help you maintain a positive outlook on life and restore confidence.
- Relieves sleep apnea. Maintaining a normal weight range often allows patients with sleep apnea to breath and sleep easily—eliminating the need for a CPAP machine at bedtime.
- Boosts fertility. Weight loss surgery can improve your chance of conceiving and can boost fertility during the childbearing years.
Good candidates for gastric sleeve surgery in Turkey
Sleeve gastrectomy Turkey surgery qualifications
Gastric sleeve surgery can perform to help you lose weight and reduce your risk of weight-related health problems, including:
- Heart disease
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Obstructive sleep apnea
- Type 2 diabetes
You can think of getting gastric sleeve surgery if:
- Your body mass index (BMI) is 35 or higher
- Your BMI is 32 to 35(obesity), and you have a serious health problem, such as type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, severe sleep apnea or any weight-related health problems.
- You're committed to making lifestyle changes to keep the weight off.
- If you consider getting gastric sleeve surgery, you should also need to change your lifestyle. You can be required to follow long-term plans including lifestyle, Daily habits, monitoring nutrition and health, exercise.
Before gastric sleeve surgery in Turkey
Before the surgery, patients will need various tests and exams and will have to follow a diet plan. The diet would start 2 weeks before the surgery and it includes no sugar, very low carbs and high protein and veggies.
It is recommended not to smoke and stop using blood thinners 2 weeks before the surgery. Patients should not eat, drink or smoke 12 hours before gastric sleeve surgery in Turkey.
Gastric sleeve Turkey procedure
Gastric sleeve surgery in Istanbul is performed via two methods. One is when you eat, the small sleeve or pouch of the stomach fills with a small quantity of food. The surgery is performed under general anaesthesia. It is commonly performed laparoscopically, making a few small incisions or performed, making a large incision in the abdomen.
Filling of that portion of the stomach signals the brain that you have eaten a large quantity of food. Consequently, you feel satiated and comfortable with smaller quantities of foods.
The reason why gastric sleeve surgery is so successful is that it removes the part of the stomach that secretes a hormone called Ghrelin, which is responsible for stimulating the appetite.
The surgery takes around 1 to 2 hours and the patient will have to stay in the hospital for at least 3 days.
Post-op gastric sleeve diet
After gastric sleeve surgery in Turkey, you must follow a strict diet that gives your body the chance to recover and adjust to a smaller size stomach.
Gastric sleeve vs gastric bypass
What’s are the distinct differences between the two weight loss surgeries?
Sleeve gastrectomy in Turkey is carried out by surgically removing the side part of the stomach—while the small tube is used for storing food.
Nonetheless, it doesn’t bypass the intestines. The surgery also removes ghrelin—which is the hormone responsible for stimulating the appetite. After the operation, patients feel easily satiated after consuming one to three ounces of food.
In gastric bypass Turkey, however, the stomach’s size is also reduced—and part of the small intestine is closed off so that food bypasses it.
A new stomach pouch is then created by placing a small or large incision in the abdomen. Much the same way as in sleeve gastrectomy, gastric bypass can also make you feel full for a long time after eating a small quantity of food.
The chief difference between gastric bypass and sleeve gastrectomy is that gastric bypass, as the name suggests, bypasses part of the digestive tract, while sleeve gastrectomy does not.
Types of weight loss surgeries in Turkey
Weight loss Turkey surgery entails more bariatric procedures to meet the varying needs of obesity patients. Gastric balloon, gastric bypass and diabetes surgery have proved to help resolve and treat weight-related conditions.
Gastric balloon Turkey—also known as belly balloon—is a non-invasive weight loss surgery designed to utilize a gastric balloon to take up space in the stomach to help a person become full easily and quickly and—therefore—eat less.
Gastric bypass surgery is a bariatric surgery treatment that helps patients reach their weight loss goals with minimal risk and high success rates. Gastric bypass surgery in the second most popular bariatric surgery in Turkey.
During the gastric bypass in Turkey, the surgeon reduces the size of the stomach and rearranges the digestive system—hence patients feel full sooner and absorb fewer minerals when they consume food, causing substantial long-term weight loss.
Gastric sleeve surgery recovery
Recovering from gastric sleeve surgery can take between two to eight weeks. The exact amount of time you will need to heal depends on your body's natural ability to recover quickly and on how you follow the doctor's post-op instructions.
After your gastric sleeve surgery in Turkey, you may experience some discomfort with can last for several days. Expect some tenderness and pain around the incision sites, as well as general tenderness in the stomach.
The doctor will prescribe some medication to relieve the pain and help alleviate discomfort. It is essential for bariatric surgery patients to understand the symptoms of dumping syndrome—a condition occurring after a weight loss surgery—which can cause nausea, vomiting, faintness and diarrhoea.
It's also important to realize that your energy level may drop for a while after sleeve gastrectomy surgery in Turkey. This is mainly because your body is consuming a lot of its energy and resources to heal.
Moreover, your body will be adjusting to a new diet, so you are more likely to feel tired and slow at first. Over time, this will improve as your body has adjusted to the new dietary changes—and once again begins to absorb the nutrient.
Cost of gastric sleeve in Turkey
Turkey is an excellent close-to-home destination for weight loss surgery.
With its short flights (4 hours) and easy access, it's no surprise that Turkey is one of the popular obesity medical tourism destinations. Weight loss surgery centers in Turkey—which are renowned as centers of excellence—offer prices that are around half of what you would pay in the UK.
Patients travelling from the UK for a gastric sleeve in Turkey will be able to save up to 70 percent on their bariatric surgery.
Gastric sleeve cost in Turkey is exceptionally affordable due to the lower cost of living in Turkey, inexpensive overhead expenses—and the high exchange rate of the English Pound against the Turkish Lira. It's not always a matter of money.
Some private health insurance companies cover weight loss surgeries, while others do not. And the health insurance companies that do cover bariatric surgeries require a long tedious process of documentation, proof of participation in weight loss programs.
Most of the weight loss surgeries in the United Kingdom are not covered under the National Health Service (NHS).
Waiting lists can take up to three to four years. During that time, obesity can deteriorate and serious health conditions can develop, such as diabetes and heart disease. Many patients would rather travel abroad for weight loss surgery than wait.
What Will My Weight Loss Trip Be Like?
- You will have one trip for the gastric sleeve.
- Before the surgery, you need to follow the instructions and a diet including no carbs, high protein and high veggies.
- Gastric sleeve surgery will take about 1 to 2 hours.
- Gastric sleeve patients must stay in the hospital for at least 3 days.
- Total stay in Turkey for the surgery and follow-up is 7 days.
- After surgery, in the first month, patients will have a diet to readjust the stomach. After one to two months, patients may start eating regularly. After 2 months, patients will gradually be able to increase the amount they eat.